Bay Area Retrofit’s Contribution to Retrofit Education
Course Instructor: “Principles and Practice of Earthquake Retrofitting” by the Association of Bay Area Governments
“Seismic Retrofit for Cripple Walls”, The Journal of Light Construction. April, 2006
“The Hayward Fault. Predictable Peril.” KQED, Channel 9.
Featured Contractor “California Works to Prepare for the Big One”, PBS News Hour
Lecturer “Retrofit Principles and Practice for the Home Inspection Industry.” Sponsored by the Golden Gate Chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors
Keynote speaker “The Preservation of Historical Wood-Framed Buildings” Sponsored by The City of Victoria Heritage Foundation in British Columbia.
Mayoral Appointee to the Berkeley Disaster Commission as a seismic retrofit expert
Guest Lecturer: “Retrofit Principles and Practice for the Canadian Home Inspection Industry,” sponsored by the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors
Residential Damage Inspector, FEMA. 1989-1994.
Publications on Bay Area Retrofit:
- Advisor regarding the retrofit Portion of Thor Matteson’s : Wood-Framed Shear Wall Construction
- Co-Author with Wendy Allen, Engineer for Simpson Strong Tie, “Retrofit Mudsill Anchorage Systems”, 2007
- Co-Author and currently updating Bay Area’s Retrofit Guidelines: “Standard Plan A, Residential Seismic Strengthening Plan”, The International Code Council, 2005.
- “Homeowner’s Guide to Seismic Retrofitting”
- Many other publications available in the PDF Library at BayAreaRetrofit.com
- “Seismic Retrofit for Cripple Walls”, The Journal of Light Construction. April, 2006
If you would like an evaluation of your building or home, please fill out this form. I will take a look on Google maps and email you back information relevant to your building. If you are doing your own retrofit or have any questions about your house I am happy to help you free of charge.