Even though Bay Area Retrofit has made significant contributions to the field, I must give all credit to structural engineer Nels Roselund (now retired) who, after working for decades as a Historic Building Preservation Engineer, took the time to teach me all that he knew as well as introduce me to the leading structural engineers at universities and research labs in the country. Whatever I may know about retrofit engineering is but a footnote to all that he taught me.
Co-author of Standard Plan A used by the California Earthquake Authority, San Leandro’s “Retrofit Workshop” for homeowners and contractors, the City of Berkeley, as well as building departments all over the Bay Area.
Course Instructor: “Principles and Practice of Earthquake Retrofitting” 2014 presented by the Association of Bay Area Governments
Featured expert “The Hayward Fault. Predictable Peril.” KQED, Channel 9.
Featured Contractor “California Works to Prepare for the Big One”, PBS News Hour
Featured Expert in this KGO Documentary.
Featured Expert in the San Francisco Chronicle.
Guest Lecturer “Retrofit Principles and Practice for the Home Inspection Industry.” Sponsored by the Golden Gate Chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors
Keynote speaker “The Preservation of Historical Wood-Framed Buildings” Sponsored by The City of Victoria Heritage Foundation in British Columbia.
Mayoral Appointee to the Berkeley Disaster Commission as a seismic retrofit expert
Guest Lecturer: “Retrofit Principles and Practice for the Canadian Home Inspection Industry,” sponsored by the Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors
Primary source for an article in the San Jose Mercury News on Soft Story Retrofitting.
Residential Damage Inspector, FEMA. 1989-1994.
Publications by Bay Area Retrofit
- Co-Author with Wendy Allen, Engineer for Simpson Strong Tie, “Mudsill Anchorage Systems in Cripple Wall Retrofits”, 2007
- Co-Author and currently updating Bay Area’s Retrofit Guidelines: “Standard Plan A, Residential Seismic Strengthening Plan”, The International Code Council, 2005.
- “Homeowner’s Guide to Seismic Retrofitting”
- “The Mudsill Connection in Retrofit Shear Walls”
- Many other publications available in the PDF Library at BayAreaRetrofit.com